I have my Tormach PCNC440 wired into the workshop network and as a result if a new version of PathPilot is issued my PathPilot controller warns me. This is quite nice as there is no formal emailing warnings of new issues by Tormach. Anyone whose machine is not Internet connected would need to check periodically with the Tormach site to see if an update was needed.
To continue the story … last week I got a warning of a new version of PathPilot (2.4.0) was available and I duly downloaded. One of the immediately obvious changes in the new firmware was a G37 tool measurement routine which works in conjunction with a simple Normally Closed tool setter. From my previous ramblings you will see that I had done a combiner box to allow both probing and toolsetting to share a common input to the Tormach. In theory I was therefore ready to go ….
From my many years in industry I should know that all that glitters etc … the new routine did not work. I thought it must be me but in the end I logged a support call with Tormach and sent them my log file. I also logged the problem on the NYC CNC forum to see if anyone else was having the same issue. I did get one response saying that he was not having an issue. The plot thickened and nothing back from Tormach.
A couple of days later the same responder said there was a fix update available from the Tormach site. It seems the software worked well in G20 Imperial mode but not in G21 Metric mode. He was running Imperial and I was trying to run in Metric Software update downloaded and all is well. It is rather nice. You tell PathPilot where the tool setter is located and then to run the auto tool measurement you put a G37 command in the GCode after a tool change. Away the spindle goes to the tool setter location, dunks the tool and updates the Tool Table. Magic.
Still waiting for Tormach to close off my enquiry and let me know they had fixed the problem and as a result there was a new firmware available. But it is Christmas and maybe they had other pressing matters.
Similar or related subjects : –
- Enclosure finally added to my Tormach PCNC440
- CNC Work Reference Centring using Mushrooms
- Clough42 Electronic Leadscrew Project Implementation Notes
- Floating pressure foot for the CNCEST3040T mini milling machine
- Probes and Haimer Taster Modification
- Arc and Circle I and J code calculator for GCode cutting paths
- Tormach PCNC440 Fogbuster and Manual Oiler Service
- Editing the PathPilot Tool Table with Conversational machining codes
- CNCEST 3040T CNC Router Update
- A CNCEST router / engraver joins the workshop