Lots of activity to be documented and posted but let’s start off with a short note. Not earth shattering but might help someone somewhere.
I had the bright idea of using Micro USBs as a connecting medium on a couple of projects. This was driven by the need for a 5 wire connection. The design was finished and I dug out the Micro USB to Micro USB cable that had been bought in for the project and connected things together. All the LEDs went out on my project circuit board. Gloom.
After buzzing the cable through I found that on a standard Micro USB cable the Sense pin is linked to the Ground pin. There are not 5 independent and isolated cores as you would expect. Just four. What to do ?
By chance I had some Micro USB connector ends with solder tabs but no shells. I did not have any flexible small diameter cable with 5 cores. After some discussions with my other half she offered to plait 5 independent cables together for me as a cable form. These were soldered to the Micro USB ends. Two small end caps were quickly designed in Fusion 360 and took 10 minutes to print on the 3D printer. Job complete and project back up and running.
Similar or related subjects : –
- Supply, IC2 and USB connections over CAT5 connection
- How to Register Velux radio controlled windows
- Remote WiFi and GSM Switches
- Wireless Tag technology for remote sensing and security
- Tormach Tool Height Caliper 3V Battery Modification
- Magnifier Lens Scratches and Polywatch
- The Power of Fing
- Leaking compressed air components and Loctite 577