Including a 3D insert tip holder
In my recent post on a 3D print insert stand I mentioned the use of the Lytool soldering iron station. This uses a Type 936 style soldering pencil and it is supplied with five different profile soldering tips. When using the iron for non insert related soldering, I have found it lightweight to use, very quick to get to temperature and generally a good alternative to my Weller TCP1.
After some research I found that the best match 3D inserts tips for the Type 936 pencil are a screw in set with a common mounting bit. Here is the Amazon link.
Having now got five different soldering tips, the insert holder and six 3D insert tips, things were getting a bit messy and a potential recipe for something getting lost with all the ensuing frustration. The solution was a simple holder for these various components that mounted on the Lytool soldering iron holder. Here is the Fusion image.
and here is the finished item mounted on the soldering iron holder.
Clearly as a 3D print you can’t go putting a hot tip on a plastic prong … but that aside it is functional. As an alternative you could replace the prongs with M4 screws. Here is a view of such a variant. This uses M4 x 15mm countersink screws but space is restricted on the rear side to allow for the screw head size. There is still room for seven standard tips. If the threads don’t print well then the screws could be fastened with nuts on the top side instead. This would also protect the body plastic from any residual heat in the tip.
Here is a ZIP file with the STL files for the two versions.
Links to similar or related post are listed below : –
- Soldering Iron bit storage on Lytool soldering station
- Water Softener goes AWOL
- Noga External Deburrer and Cut Screws
- Technoline Wireless Weather Station problem
- Using Raaco section boxes for fastener storage
- Bamboo barbeque sticks as dowels
- Spreadsheet Compendium by Popular Request
- Spreadsheet for setting a lathe compound slide angle
- Shopping list spreadsheet that has other uses
- External battery pack to extend the battery life on wireless tags