I ordered my upgrade to newly released Version 2.x.x of PathPilot for my PCNC440 machine and to be honest the instructions for doing the upgrade were clear and straightforward. Care is needed as this is a complete clear out of the old version so backups needed to be taken of your GCode files and your Tool Table etc. Don’t fret however as all this is talked through quite clearly in the downloaded support document (TD10530).
The software loaded well but I then had a couple of problems.
Prior to the upgrade I had a shared folder on my desktop PC that allowed me to blob across the GCode files to the 440 machine without leaving my desk. After the upgrade this shared folder had disappeared and try as I might, refused to return. I could ping the Tormach so it was on my network but it was not being seen from a data point of view.
I eventually gave up and posted the problem with Tormach. They came back quickly with a fix as follows. This is a simple to do and assumes the ‘green light’ on the internet button (on the status PathPilot page) is lit.
- When in the PathPilot working screen, press CTRL+ALT+X to bring up a terminal window. (A word of warning here …. my keyboard silicon protector overlay supplied by Tormach had legend that did not match the keys underneath …. check what you are really pressing …)
- Type gedit smb.conf.share and click enter on the keyboard. This should launch the file for editing. (Note: 1 space between gedit and smb.conf.share)
- Change “security = share” to “security = user”
- Reboot the PathPilot controller
- Open a folder mapping dialogue on your desktop PC File Explorer and map to an unused drive letter. Note the format is something like “\\tormachpcnc\gcode” but read the instructions from Tormach.
The other issue I had initially is that I could not load DropBox which is a new facility on PathPilot. As by now I had solved the shared folder issue, this was less of an issue but belt and braces called and finally it loaded OK.
Note that you must reduce the number of folders seen by DropBox on the Tormach or it will flood your memory storage space. Tormach give instructions on how to do this by listing the folders that need to be ignored. You cannot cherry pick them from a dropdown list but instead you need to paper list them and then manually enter them. Also note that any folders you are blocking that have more than a single word name format need to be encapsulated with ” ” when entered in the blocked folder list (unless you have underscored any spaces). I reduced my DropBox folders ‘seen’ on the Tormach to just one which will contain my GCode files.
DANGER – do not simply delete the DropBox folders that are not of interest in the PathPilot File screen or you will delete them permanently from the DropBox cloud storage. All your pictures of Auntie Agnes with her Sherry at Christmas will go down the tube ….
TD10345 Networking PathPilot
TD10530 Upgrading to PathPilot V2.x.x
I have posted this information on the NYC CNC Forum and John has also created a document in his site Library.
Good luck with the upgrade. The resulting code isn’t dramatically different but general presentation of graphics and fonts is better and the conversational programming is slightly changed.
Finally I cannot emphasise enough how responsive Tormach Tech Support are if you have an issue. Without their help I would probably still scratching my head regarding the above.
Disclaimer : – This post and many others on my website feature references to Tormach and its products. I have no connection to Tormach Inc financially, commercially or otherwise. I acknowledge that Tormach®, Tormach Tooling System®, TTS® and PathPilot® are all registered trade marks of Tormach Inc.
Similar or related subjects : –
- Enclosure finally added to my Tormach PCNC440
- CNC Work Reference Centring using Mushrooms
- Clough42 Electronic Leadscrew Project Implementation Notes
- Floating pressure foot for the CNCEST3040T mini milling machine
- Probes and Haimer Taster Modification
- Arc and Circle I and J code calculator for GCode cutting paths
- Tormach PathPilot G37 Update
- Tormach PCNC440 Fogbuster and Manual Oiler Service
- Editing the PathPilot Tool Table with Conversational machining codes
- CNCEST 3040T CNC Router Update