I have been avidly watching Clough42 on YouTube. James comes over as a really nice guy and his presentation of his projects is excellent.
My principle interest is the Electronic Leadscrew modification to lathes. When installed this removes all the hassle of gearboxes and look up tables to be able to cut both Imperial and Metric screw threads and to set X axis movement feed rates.
The concept is simple but his implementation is second to none. A rotary encoder is fitted to the spindle to count revolutions of the chuck and a stepper motor (or servo hybrid) controls the rotation of the leadscrew. The resulting feed speed is derived from look up tables. The whole installation is controlled by a Texas Instruments LaunchPad C2000 microcontroller development board.
I have documented how I implemented this on my Myford Super 7 Big Bore lathe and the pdf can be downloaded below. There is also a ZIP file of all the Fusion related models for either CNC or 3D printing.
Minor edits added to v3 relating to programming the servo controller
Update : –
Similar or related subjects : –
- Enclosure finally added to my Tormach PCNC440
- CNC Work Reference Centring using Mushrooms
- Floating pressure foot for the CNCEST3040T mini milling machine
- Probes and Haimer Taster Modification
- Arc and Circle I and J code calculator for GCode cutting paths
- Tormach PathPilot G37 Update
- Tormach PCNC440 Fogbuster and Manual Oiler Service
- Editing the PathPilot Tool Table with Conversational machining codes
- CNCEST 3040T CNC Router Update
- A CNCEST router / engraver joins the workshop