Back from after a few weeks in France and back in the workshop.
Every now and then there is a project that is on the go and you can’t sit down and focus on it. It is a sort of mechanical procrastination. A reluctance to put the first pencil mark on the paper. You then suddenly find all sorts of other things that you kid yourself are more important / higher priority and you get distracted. You know that job will still be there but maybe tomorrow, not today. You suddenly develop a clear conscience about doing something else while you do some background thinking ….
This particular day started off by cleaning down the accumulated swarf (chips) in the 440 tray. Really important job. This led to a check behind the various 440 slideway bellows to see that all was well with the oiling mechanism on the slideways and the ballscrews. X and Y were fine but Z was dry. Not good news.
The 440 is supplied with a manual oiler as standard. This is a reservoir of oil and a pump/plunger which you pull out and release to initiate a slow pressure to the oil distribution pipes.
I checked the plunger and it didn’t feel like it was applying much pressure. This is not the first time I have experienced this problem. If I pumped a few times it felt better so something should have been happening at the oiling points on the Z. I disconnected each of these where I could and sure enough if I pumped hard enough some oil dribbled out but not with much pressure. Something probably not right with the plunger ?
Squeezing round the back of the mill I removed the top of the reservoir (4 retaining screws), disconnected the oil pipe union and lifted the plunger clear. The reservoir can be left in place sitting on the mounting bracket.
There is a large end cap at the union end of the plunger cylinder which I removed and sure enough I could see a mangled O ring. To get the plunger out you have to be a bit brutal. You pull the T handle plunger back out of its housing against its spring using the handle as shown above and then grip the shaft with pliers so you can then twist the handle off. What you don’t do then is suddenly release the pliers grip or the plunger will go into low Earth orbit under the pressure of its spring …
Having disassembled the plunger it was obvious that the O ring had failed quite badly. Tormach support do not offer spares as the oiler is a third party item. They do not know what size the O ring should be. Checking in my box of miscellaneous O rings it looked like a 9mm ID, 3mm thickness part would do the trick. Smearing the O ring with DC4 silicon grease allowed easy re-assembly into the piston bore and then back onto the 440. I now had lots of pressure and oil was apparent trickling down the Z slideways and ball screws. Job done. No pumping needed, just one pull out of the piston handle was generating a slow release of oil to the key areas.
The job I should have been doing was still sat on the bench glaring at me but psychologically I was doing something more important.
Next problem was the Fogbuster air activation valve. Under CNC control this reliably switched on but sometimes would not switch off when commanded to. There are various forum discussions on this problem and many contributors just replace the solenoid valve with a different version. Forum chat also recommended that electrical transient snubbers are fitted across various inductive loads in the Tormach control unit. I had some of these in my stock box (Tormach offer a kit for this). They are simply a series resistor and capacitor in an epoxy block. They are fitted across any inductive device to suppress switching transients. I dived into the control box and fitted one across the controller relay coil that switches the Fogbuster ON and OFF and another one across the outlet from the control box feeding the Fogbuster solenoid coil. See picture below.
The problem seemed to be improved but still occasionally the solenoid did not switch OFF.
The Fogbuster solenoid has a clear housing over the activation coil connections and there is a LED inside this that comes on when the Fogbuster is switched on.
This connection housing plugs into the coil and the mechanics of the solenoid body and is released with a screw in the end. Toggling the coolant ON and OFF via the PathPilot user interface I could see the LED responding correctly to the ON and OFF commands but occasionally the solenoid was not closing. It was therefore not an electrical problem but mechanical.
On top of the solenoid housing is a single large nut which when released allows the solenoid coil to be lifted off. This leaves two countersink screws which hold the mechanical plunger housing in place and if these are removed the plunger can be gently removed. Inside the valve is very simple. A central hole allows the air to pass through and when the solenoid is de-energised a spring forces the solenoid plunger to seal this hole. I gave everything a thorough blast with compressed air and re-assembled it. Care is needed re-assembling as there is a tiny O ring seal on the plunger cover. The solenoid now responds correctly to the PathPilot commands.
Another tick. Job done. Warm glow.
That other job is still sat on the bench glaring at me ….
Similar or related subjects : –
- Tormach PathPilot G37 Update
- Editing the PathPilot Tool Table with Conversational machining codes
- Stretching FlatCam and PCB milling on Tormach PCNC440
- CNCEST 3040T CNC Router Update
- A CNCEST router / engraver joins the workshop
- Tormach Costing Sheet Update
- Tormach Purchase Costing Sheet
- Mill Turning on the Tormach PCNC440
- Tormach Tooling System and a Spanner in the Works
- Another Haimer tip bites the dust or at least the mill bed